On Sun, 2003-09-21 at 20:48, Gregory Symons wrote:

> I believe it gets the full environment the the user has; i.e. when it
> launches the shell, the shell does its normal initialization and sources
> the global environment and whatever the user has in his
> .profile/.bashrc/.<insert init file here>. The man page isn't too clear
> on this point (according to it, the only environment that gets set is
> SHELL, LOGNAME, HOME and MAILTO, along with any environment set in the
> user's crontab itself), so if someone knows better than me, feel free to
> correct me.

I just ran a quick test to see:

/etc/crontab entry:

*/1 * * * *     root    /bin/mycrontest

/bin/mycrontest:

#!/bin/bash
echo "*Environment:"
env

results:
*Environment:
SHELL=/bin/sh
PATH=/usr/bin:/bin
PWD=/root
HOME=/root
SHLVL=2
LOGNAME=root
_=/usr/bin/env

No settings were set from ~/.profile or /etc/profile. I ran a similar
test with the 'set' command and it did not have anything beyond the
typical shell/user information. I'm not sure where vcron is getting PATH
or SHELL though, defaults compiled in perhaps?

Doug