On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 11:10, Jason Cooper wrote:
> Ernie Schroder ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) scribbled:
> > On Wednesday 24 September 2003 08:47 pm, Carl Hudkins wrote:
> > > Hi, all...
> > >
> > >   Ok, an upcoming vacation and my seeming inability to completely
> > > shoot a roll of film and get it developed before it's so old that
> > > half the pictures look like they were shot from behind brown
> > > draperies have got me thinking about getting a digital camera.
> > > Since I live in a Windows-free environment, any such camera must be
> > > compatible with Linux in at least these ways:
> > >
> > >   * Appears to the system as a USB mass-storage device -- that
> > > means, no special software or drivers are needed; you just plug it
> > > in and you can then get your pictures off it like a normal
> > > filesystem. + This would also be a benefit if I needed to plug it
> > > into someone else's computer in order to upload the pix to myself
> > > or something. I've tried to deal with cameras at work (Kinko's)
> > > that needed special drivers, and had to give up when even the
> > > manufacturer's web site did not have have (Win2k) drivers that
> > > would work.
> > >
> > >   * No more than two hours of screwing with config files or kernel
> > > rebuilds should be required to get it working.
> > >
> > >   Further, it must be compatible with my budget, which means it
> > > costs less than $300 (US).  :)  I know this will not get me an
> > > ultra-high-quality camera, but from what I've read the photos from
> > > such a device should be more than sufficient for my meager needs.
> > >
> > >   Does such a thing exist?  If anyone has one, I'd sure like to know
> > > about it!
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance,
> >

> > I'm using a Olympus D-550 here It meets your requirments and it's a 3
> > megapixle camera with 2.8 optical and 3x digital zoom Cost is about
> > $250 (US) The camera itself looks just like a card reader to Linux so
> > If you've gotten usb-mass storage working, you're good to go.  I
> > recommend a card reader as uploading photos to a computer is tough on
> > the batteries.
>
> What media format does it use for storage?  I'm also looking for a
> digital camera, and was considering the Olympus weatherproof one.
>
> Cooper.

Hi,

I just purchased the C-750 Olympus and it is a beautiful piece of
machinery.

4 Mega Pixel
Effective 40X Zoom 10x optical 4x digital
two 128Mb Cards (one Stills, the other Motion)
a 16Mb card is included and I use this for the "BEST" high res. pixs

I can't comment on the price  ( Aus $1099 camera only )but the camera is
superb.
It uses the new xD memory Card. I would also like to be able to move
stuff into my Linux box and put gimp through it's paces. What is
required to test the USB Mass storage option?

Sorry if a little of topic :/

cheers,
--
Glen Trudgett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>