I received the following message while booting with a kernel that I compiled during the installation of Gentoo 2:

hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 3 ports detected
---- Detected usb-ohci hardware
---- Scanning for hid... usb.c: registered new driver hid
hid-core.c: v1.8.1 Andreas Gal, Vojtech Pavlik ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
hid-core.c: USB HID support drivers
---- Detected hid hardware
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

I compiled the 2.4.20 kernel that is retreived from gentoo-sources. I used the genkernel command without the --config option. I emerged the following: nvidia-kernel, nforce-net, nforce-audio because I have the following hardware:

Athlon XP 2200+, Gigabyte GA-7NNXP (nforce2), 256 MB RAM, 40 GB IDE Harddrive (i think it is 7200rpm), NVidia GeForce 4400, Logitech USB Mouse, cdrom, two additional IDE hard drives.

I've looked around the web for some answers and most seem to focus on ACPI / APIC and disabling it. I don't mind disabling it as long as I don't see any performance degredation (which is kind of difficult to judge since my machine is not performing at all). There seems to be three places to disable it: the BIOS, the kernel and the boot command (pci=noacpi noapic) (could i place this in lilo.conf?). What would be the best way to determine if this is the problem? Which would be the best place to disable it at? Would this solve my problems?

Here is one of the sources of information that I found on the net:

http://www.burocrata.org/newwiki/NvidiaNforce

Thank you in advance for any and all assistance.

Andrew