Sorry to reply to my own post, but noone responded to mine.

It would appear that whoever runs the gentoo.org mail server, has finally disabled TLS, assumedly after realising it was broken.

If other people out there have problems with this, Courier allows you to disable outgoing TLS, to workaround broken mail servers..

On Gentoo, edit /etc/courier/courierd and change:

ESMTP_USE_STARTTLS=1

(the default), to:

ESMTP_USE_STARTTLS=0

MAL

MAL wrote:
Please could someone fix the gentoo.org mail server, (see the attached delivery report for example).

I just confirmed it by telnetting to your server:

$ telnet mail.gentoo.org 25
Trying 204.126.2.42...
Connected to mail.gentoo.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mail.gentoo.org ESMTP
HELO localhost
250 mail.gentoo.org
STARTTLS
454 TLS missing certificate: error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or directory (#4.3.0)

looks like the mail server needs recompiling ;)

I tried mailing gentoo-user-owner and gentoo-security-owner before, but no reply.

I think the change must have happened within the last 2 weeks, as before then I could send to gentoo-user via my TLS capable mail server.

Cheers,
MAL