If I remember correctly there is/was an app called tripwire that checks files for changes.

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 05:05:39 +0300
 Anatoly Vorobey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I apologise if this is a silly question, or a question
answered in some standard place I didn't think of checking.

Is there any easy way to scan my entire tree of files, starting
with /, and to report all files which either do not match their
checksum stored in the package database, or aren't registered in the package database? Obviously there should also be some
easy way of excluding whole directories such as /home, /etc
or /var.

--
avva