warning: the following will compromise the security of your system and
is not reccomended for use on a large corporate server ;)

#chmod u+s /sbin/halt

The way that I understand your e-mail you have a set up about the same
as my laptop with only myself and root as a user, and your system boots
up into init level 3.  The reason that the system does not shut straight
down is because your user does not have the perms to do so... if you
start gnome as root it should work.  The above command allows ALL users
on your system the ability to shut down the system reguardless of their
competence or status.  Let me know if this doesnt work for you or if i
mis-interpreted you