Here is what I am doing..

Since you have an extra drive, I added the drive (or use another computer) and got an
install working.. I then added all the users and copied over the /home directories for
them. (making sure you either  use the same guids, or chown -R..

The key is, once you have down a emerge system, to install each thing one by one and
get it working right. Then move on to the next.

Once that is done, you can either cp -a to the the system. (I highly recommend a
backup before hand) or just swap the drives.. (as I am doing..) just make note of your
/etc/fstab is correct if they change at all.

Its really not to hard, just gonna take time.