I have USB mass storage set up and working pretty much as expected
other than one rather perplexing problem. If I unmount either my
digital camera or my smart card reader, remove the media and then
replace it I cannot remount the device.If, and only after, I unplug
and replug the camera or reader, and do:

$ sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda1

which will print out partition info, I can then mount the device
normally. Does anyone have an idea?
the only odd thing with my setup is that I have a symlink from
/mnt/flash to /home/USERNAME/mnt/flash

$ mount
(when the device is mounted shows:

none on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
/dev/sda1 on /mnt/flash type vfat (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,user=ernie)
 and when unmounted, shows:

none on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)

This only seems to happen if the device has been unmounted for 10
minutes or longer.
--
Regards, Ernie
100% Microsoft and Intel free