* [Oct 02, 2003] gabriel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
[snip]
> so my question then is:  why compile something as a module if you're
> going to load it into the kernel at boot anyway?  what are the
> (dis)advantages?

I personally try to compile almost everything as a module for the simple
fact that it's faster to recompile a module than to recompile your
kernel and reboot.

For instance, say you compiled the is09660 filesystem into your kernel
and not as a module, however you didn't check the box that says
'Joliet support'.  Things may run just fine for a while, until you run
into that joliet cd that you need to access.  Now you need to reconfigure
the iso9660 driver, and since it was compiled into your kernel, recompile
your kernel, install the new kernel, and reboot.

If you had compiled it as a module, you can just make the change,
type make modules && make modules_install unload the old module, load
the new one and you're set.

I've also found it very handy to always compile everything usb or scsi
related as a module, as well as nic drivers.  It's much easier to change
your network driver parameters when it's compiled in as a module.

The only things that I don't compile as modules these days are things
that won't let me ;).  This way, I almost never have to reboot.

YMMV

Have fun,
--
/*
 * Bob Phan <[EMAIL PROTECTED],[EMAIL PROTECTED]>