after some experimentation, i'm able to input korean characters into gedit, but not mozilla web forms (as used in bulletin boards or web based email).

1) emerge -S korea

2) emerge all unmasked packages that appear on this list. (i installed "ami", but it may not be necessary.)

3) emerge imhangul ; emerge imhangul_status_applet

4) add imhangul_status_applet to your gnome panel. (you may have to log out, log in for it to be visible.)

5) right click on the applet and select "about". write down the url for the website (this may be useful in the future) ; this website has the documentation for imhangul (in korean).

6) open gEdit and right click on area where you input text. in the menu that just opened, there should be an item to select input. select hangul 2bul or something like that.

7) start typing korean. (this may require you to press shift-space. you will notice that the imhangul_status_applet will be populated with "A" or korean characters. that is the mode that you are typing in.)

i haven't gotten it to work with mozilla web forms, so if you want to send web based emails in korean, then:

8) copy (ctrl-c) the text that you just typed into gedit.

9) start mozilla, log into web based email.

10) click on the link that composes a new email.

11) change coding for the page to "Korean (UHC)". the page should reload and the english fonts should change in appearance.

12) paste (ctrl-v) and address teh email to yourself. send the email.

13) view the email. if you can't see it in korean, then change coding of the page to "Korean (UHC)". you should be able to view the characters. if not, then check to make sure that the preferences for mozilla (navigator-languages) have the korean language included.

interestingly, these instructions work both in the Englsih (American) and Korean locale for gnome.