Ian writes:

> On 06 Oct 2003 14:01:53 -0700
> HvR <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> when i run emerge -up world i shows two blocking packages:
>>
>> <gnome-extra/gnome-utils-2.3 (from pkg gnome-extra/gucharmap-1.0.0
>> and
>> gnome-base/bonobo-activation (from pkg gnome-base/libbonobo-2.4.0)
>>
>> i can tell it is trying to update me to gnome 2.4 but how do i get rid
>> of the blocks?
>> and what does the < in front of the package mean?
>>
> unmerge the blocked applications. The features that they provided are
> now part of another package that you are emerging.

I also had bonobo-activation blocking today. I unmerged it, ran emerge
-uD world, and after a long list of other updates, portage wants to
re-merge it again. Strange. When I try to do this, I get an error
message during configure, telling me that it is part of libbonobo,
which I already have emerged. And qpkg (emerge gentoolkit to use it)
seems to tell me that libbonobo wants it:

% qpkg -q bonobo-activation
gnome-base/bonobo-activation-1.0.3
DEPENDED ON BY:
        gnome-base/gnome-2.2.2-r1
        gnome-base/libbonobo-2.4.0

Any ideas why? I don't understand this.

Another problem that I have for longer is gnome-desktop, gnome-
terminal and gnome-session blocking gnome-core. After unmerging, I can
emerge gnome-core, but then emerge -uDp world shows that gnome-core is
blocking the other three packages. I can unmerge them, and will be in
the same state as before. I also posted this to the forum yesterday,
no solution yet:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=569020#569020

No big problem though, apart from being unable to do an emerge -uD
world.

        Alex
--
  Alex Schuster     [EMAIL PROTECTED]             PGP Key available
                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]