Thanks everyone for the responses.  I got it working with the
hdc=ide-scsi on the kernel line in grub.conf, and then modprobe
ide-scsi.

This latest post interests me however. (no need for ide-scsi).
Is anyone else using this?  Perhaps cdrecord should be modified to
default to this, so that it just works in the most common case, without
requiring custom configuration.

I have it working now with ide-scsi... I wonder if I should back that
out, and try the dev=ATAPI:0,0,0 solution.  It sure would have been
nice if that had been documented in the man page somewhere. (may be it
was and I missed it).

At the risk of starting a religious war, does anyone have opinions on
the relative merits of the ATAPI interface vs. the ide-scsi interface?

Thanks

Lincoln