this too isn't an answer to your question but its my experiance..
I have an asus nforce2 based board, and I found that gentoo sources ran the nvaudio really well (but the system crashed constantly, not because of the audio though), but when I swapped to gaming sources I could not get nvausio to work. I tried for weeks.
The alsa stuff (in my opinion) sucks. Their overhead is increadibly high, and its not true hardware supported.
In the end I went and found an old sblive card and stuck that in.. and I've never looked back.. I have flawless sound in all my games.

Senectus

"Imagine a school with children that can read and write, but with teachers who cannot, and you have a metaphor of the Information Age in which we live."   - Peter Cochrane

On Mon, 2003-10-06 at 21:34, a park wrote:
> i'm trying to set up my gigabyte nforce2 with sound. i'm using the
> 2.4.20-gaming kernel and have emerge nforce-audio and have placed the name
> of the driver in the /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel2.4 file. when i run
> update-modules command i get the following error message:
>
> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-gaming-r3/kernel/drivers/net/starfire.o
> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-gaming-r3/kernel/drivers/sound/nvaudio.o

This isn't an exact answer to your question but have you tried the alsa
drivers? I had this same problem earlier and the alsa drivers were the
easiest solution. If you want to give them a try, take a look at
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml . The specific alsa module
you want is snd-intel8x0 .

Good Luck,

Doug