Yes, I have to unmerge both, then I type 'emerge -u xfreewhatever, and
it emerges XFT along with it, then the conflict is back again.  Quite
irritating:)

I'll try umerging xft, but in past experiance, that produces a new block
to the effect of "[blocks B     ] x11-base/xfreewhatever"  *shrug*..
I'll try again and post my results.