Hi there,

I'm hoping to install Gentoo onto my laptop.  It's a sony vaio
PCG-R600HEP with a docking station that contains a firewire CDRW/DVDROM
and a floppy drive.  It's also got a network card etc.

I have tried various ways of getting the installation started but have
failed every time.  However I boot, whichever boot options I pass to the
acpi kernel, it starts booting and then fails with the message shown
at the bottom.

As well as every option I could think of for booting from the Gentoo CD,
I've made a CD of Knoppix, but this fails as well, unable to find the
CD.

In the past I've managed to install Redhat 9 (not on the computer
anymore -- I did a complete restart with the windows recovery disc that
came with it and then shrunk the windows partition down to 3GB with
partition magic), but I did that by using the boot floppy that came with
it and then installing by ftp from another computer on the local
network.

Since Gentoo is supposed to be a network installed system anyway, is
this possible?  I couldn't find any bootdisk images and the only
references I've seen on the web talk about using slackware to get it
started.  Is it necessary to use a four disk system?  I don't even own
four floppy disks!  Is there an easier way?

Many thanks for any pointers,

Al

Messages:

Keymap selection: 40
mount: Mounting /newroot/dev/cdroms/* on /newroot/mnt/cdrom failed: No
  such file or directory
---- CD not found
umount: /newroot: Device or resource busy

BusyBox v0.60.5 (2003.07.21-01:15+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
#