On Saturday 11 October 2003 04:25 pm, Brett I. Holcomb wrote:
> Run etc-update.
>
> On Saturday 11 October 2003 18:15, you wrote:
> > I get this message
> >
> >  * IMPORTANT: 2 config files in /etc need updating.  * Type
> > emerge --help config to learn how to update config files.
> >
> > after having emerged new programs.
> > How can I know which files to update and with what?

RUN etc-update WITH CAUTION!!!
when you, as root run "etc-update" you will get a list of
configuration files that can be updated. You then type the
coresponding number of the file you want to consider. You will now
see a comparison of your old file and the new one. You now get the
option to accept the update or discard it. DO NOT blindly accept the
update! If you've edited this file in any way, your changes will be
lost. Files to be especially warry of include but are not limited to
/etc/fstab, /etc/X11/XF86Config, and /etc/make.conf. If you were to
blindly accept an update to /etc/fstab, your machine would be
unbootable, to XF86Config, you'd not be able to restart X, and to
make .conf, portage would break. This has happened to many of us and
will continue, I suppose, but at least you've been warned.
--
Regards, Ernie
100% Microsoft and Intel free