On Sunday 12 October 2003 10:16 pm, a park wrote:
> i think i may have solved the nvaudio.o sound mystery...
>
> i received a kernel panic with gentoo-sources.
> i was stable with gentoo-gaming, but had no sound.
> i compiled and configured my own gs-sources kernel and my nvaudio.o driver
> LOADS!  and i have SOUND!
>
> gs-sources is currently kernel version 2.4.23_pre6-gss-r1.
>
> my mother board is a :  Gigabyte 7nnxp .
>
> i hope this helps some of you with nforce2 boards that have to use alsa.

I finally got nForce2 audio working RELIABLY with that same kernel. With
2.4.20-gentoo-r6, it was hit-or-miss.

With this current kernel, 1) enable CONFIG_SOUND_ICH=m (this is the one
labeled "Intel ICH (i8xx), SiS 7012, NVidia nForce Audio or AMD 768/811x"
with whatever method you use to configure your kernel and 2) apply the
nforce-audio kernel patch (emerge -k nforce-audio). Finally, add "nvaudio" to
your /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-XX file, cross your fingers, and reboot.

Hall