At 08:59 AM 10/13/2003, you wrote:
My only thought. Wipe out or move aside
/lib/modules/<kernelname> and try the procedure again. Shouldn't be necessary,
but I had some problems with modules in the early days of 2.4.x, and this
helped.

FWIW, I've been doing that for a long time, possibly with 2.2 kernels. I'm not sure what "make modules_install" does, but it seems to NOT remove the dir and replace it. So, any old modules created with a previous build will remain. They should never be called though and therefore not cause problems, but something kept going wrong. So, I always "rm -rf" that dir and let "make modules_install" re-create it.

Regards
Hall