On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 11:20, Sigurd Stordal wrote:
> > directory so that portage fully knows about it?  Can I do so in such a
> > way that an emerge rsync won't lose that information?  And if not, I
> PORTDIR_OVERLAY. You set it in the make.conf file, and make every new app dir
> there, will not be updated by emerge sync.

I am using PORTDIR_OVERLAY.  But simply creating a new package directory
within it doesn't solve the problem.

To see this, try creating a new subdirectory
$PORTDIR_OVERLAY/app-whatever, create an application directory within
it, and a valid ebuild within it.  Do an ebuild digest, then emerge
app-whatever/whatever/whatever-1.0.ebuild.  It should install fine.
Then do an emerge -s whatever.  It won't find your ebuild.

So package directories must be registered somehow with portage, but I
don't know the mechanism.

js