On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 02:35:45PM -0500, [jacob] wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>    I want to compile my new kernel like this:
>
> # cd /usr/src
> # cp linux/.config linux-<new>/
> # cd linux-<new>/
> # make oldconfig
>
> but everytime i have tried to "make oldconfig" it just starts flying through
> the options/answers (<Y/n/m>) all by itself.  it's as if i was holding down
> the [enter] key until i have to kill it via ctl-c.  i have had this problem
> in the past, but i went ahead and just went the full "make menuconfig" route.
> i really wish that i could figure out why i am having these problems, and any
> suggestions would be appreciated.

That's what make oldconfig does, it takes your previous answers to
options and applies then and continues on.  It will only stop if there
is an option in the new kernel that wasn't in the old kernel.

If this didn't happen in the past either you didn't copy your .config
properly or the kernel changes were very big, and there were lots of
changes.

You can of course, let make oldconfig complete, and then go into a make
config, menuconfig or xconfig or whatever and check to make sure
everything is like you want it to be.

--
Alan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - http://arcterex.net