On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 04:24:37PM -0600, Nate Duehr wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 04:24:04PM -0600, Collins Richey wrote:
> > 2) Re both resierfs and xfs, I've seen about equal numbers of
> >
> >     "pick-a-fs" ate my lunch, hard drive, and system.
> >     "pick-a-fs" is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
> >
> > You pays you money (or time), you takes you chances.
>
> Pretty wise viewpoint, I'd say.  And basically what I was trying to
> get across.  If you value your data, don't use filesystems that have
> regular reports of eating other people's data for lunch.  :-)
> Boring, I know...  but safer.  (GRIN)

I'm now leaning more towards ext3.  My previous system (Debian
unstable) ran ext3 without any problems, and was plenty fast.  At this
point I value reliability/stability over performance.

As was said above, reiserfs looks like it's either feast or famine.
So now I'm going to ask the converse question: has anyone experienced
unexplained data corruption with ext3?

By the way, I'm not trying to start a "my fs vs your fs war".  I just
saw that blurb about reiserfs corruption in the Gentoo FAQ and (1)
wondered if it's due to user error or flaky software; and (2) if the
latter, what is the likelihood of corruption?

Thanks to everyone for the interesting feeback!
Matt