Hi,
   Before I go join yet another list trying to get this problem solved
maybe someone here has a Gentoo specific answer? Thanks in advance.

   I'm trying to run Evolution without having it collide with other
audio apps running on my system. However, if I run Jack (using qjackctl)
which grabs all the sound resources, then I cannot start Evolution. The
Evolution help screen says that --disable-sound is an option, but it
doesn't seem to help. With Jack running, the Evolution splash screen
comes up, but Evolution makes no forward progress. As soon as I stop
Jack, Evolution immediately comes up, so obviously Jack is blocking.

   Does anyone know how to completely disable sound in Evolution? Is
there possibly some compile time option that I could set if I rebuilt
Evolution?

   Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,
Mark