Which kernel version do you use?
You might get the nvidia-drivers from nvidia itself and try to compile them.
Maybe that will solve the problem. (For the 2.6+ kernels you need a patch
from minion.de)
If the driver works under another linux-distro there is no reason why it
should not work under gentoo. It would at most need some more work but it
should finally work.

go to http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux.html and pick the appropriate Driver
for your system. Should be IA32 ... in most cases.
Download it. Change to the directory where you downloaded it and do:
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run # or whatever version you downloaded
This assumes that you have exited X already. You cannot do this with X up and
running. You also need to be root in order to do compile and install the
driver.
The installer will ask you wheter you want to preceed, ... asks ya whether it
should try to download a driver that suits your kernel (say no because it
won't find something appropriate anyway) and then it will try to compile your
driver.
This should work unless you have a symlink to the wrong version of your
kernel. If that is the case the installation will fail. It is very important
for the /usr/src/linux symlink to point to the unpacked source of your
current kernel. this is VERY VERY IMPORTNAT so always symlink it to the
appropriate source with:

ln -sf <Path_to_your_kernel_sources> /usr/src/linux

Then try to compile the kernel again and in most cases it should work.

In the readme file there is a section:
(sec-03) EDITING YOUR XF86CONFIG FILE
that you really should read.

It says that you should replace Driver "nv" with Driver "nvidia" (that you
have already done as you described in your initial posting), make sure that
Load "glx" is uncommented and that the Load "dri" and Load "GLcore" are
removed or commented.

After these steps and provided that it succeeded remove the old nv drivers
from your kernel with:
rmmod nv
and load the new nvidia kernel modules with:
modprobe nvidia

check wheter it is loaded with
lsmod | grep nvidia
on my box this outputs:
nvidia               1701612  10
After that you may check wheter the /dev/nvidia* devices have been created by
devfs as you loaded the module with:
ls -l /dev/nvidia*
on my box this outputs:
root[www]$ls -l /dev/nvidia*
crw-------    1 momesana root     195,   0 Jan  1  1970 /dev/nvidia0
crw-------    1 momesana root     195, 255 Jan  1  1970 /dev/nvidiactl
Then try to load X with startx or kdm or whatever you are using.
If this fails try to see wheter the configuration is allright. XF86Config
files may cause the whole Xserver to act crazy if they are not setup
properly. I remember that I couldn't get X running for weeks under Debian
potato (I was an extreme newbie then) and this was all due to the fact that
the XF86Config contained some configuration-option that needed to be
uncommented. The outpout may in some cases be deceiving and confusing. Just
try the differnt methods to create a new XF86Config file for example:
XFree86 -configure  # probes as much information as possible about your
hardware and writes a small XF86Config file to /root/XF86Config.new. Run the
X server with following command to test the new config file:
Xfree86 -xf86config /root/XF86Config.new

You also could try out xf86cfg.
If they work somehow then you know that there was something wrong with the
config file rather than with the drivers.
Just try out all possible sollutions.

Good luck and keep us informed about your progresses

momesana!