Stroller's Log: StarDate 1017.2327:
> On Oct 17, 2003, at 8:57 pm, Bruce Kingsland wrote:
> > Extapolationg from the next paragraph, would 'emerge -fp ??? >>
> > listFile' get me a list of what is needed? Can that list be
> > downloaded with wget?
>
> I'm not really familiar with the best way to pass textfiles with lots
> of URLs to wget, but that's the way (I  think) to grab the packages. I
> should have said: `emerge -Ufp world>>somefile.txt`...will give you a
> full *URL* to all the files you need to download.
>
> See the attachment for an example. Note that I have many mirrors in my
> make.conf.

Hmmm. 48 places to get the same file (in the example)! I hope there is
a way to figger out where the 'one' best place is for NW Washington.

> > Is there a handy boot floppy that I can use for my laptop? It doesn't
> > have an onboard CD, but it does have an enet card in the PCMCIA slot
> > (a Xircom 10/100/56K) that I could use to access files on my local
> > network, and the CD in one of the desktop systems.
>
> Laptops like this are a teensy bit of a chore with Gentoo, because
> there's no official floppy. Heck, I hate floppies, too. Basically, you
> need to find a bootable Linux floppy which will enable you to partition
> the drive, get networking up, download the stage file, unpack it,
> chroot in and finally compile the kernel & bootloader.

OK. I think I can figger that process out.

> This is a fairly standard procedure for CD-less laptops, unless (like
> mine) the floppy drive is a USB one, in which case it's simply quicker
> to cheat by removing the hard-drive & get it booting on a desktop
> first. Unfortunately, there isn't a standard bootdisk; I believe Tom's
> boot disk is now incompatible with Gentoo, but again search the gmane
> archives of this list. Use something like "boot floppy laptop" as
> search terms; ISTR that someone recommended a Slackware boot floppy
> recently.

I did that with my first RedHat install; fortunately there was someone
at the bootfest that had a compatible laptop to swap with. It was alot
of work. The next install I did via the RedHat ethernet FTP from a
local desktop system with a CD. Took two tries; after discovering that
the FTP solution expects that ALL the potentially necessary files will
be in one directory. I'll fix one of those disks up for this project.

-bk
--
Bruce Kingsland                                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Kingsland Konsulting    {dba: Renegaid Services}             360-531-3730