On Mon, 2003-10-20 at 12:48, Lotas T Smartman wrote:
> im guessing that redhat would be the option for me then. i love gentoo,
> and its going on my workstation soon, but for over 8 hours a day i wont
> be able to get access to my virtual server in the US if i get gentoo. if
> an update comes out with redhat, its a matter of telling the website to
> update it. thats it. with gentoo i have to login, rsync, emerge the
> update and if its something like apache, or something thats going to
> take time to recomple, it will be a good while to update.
> Sorry lads. you dident loose one, i still have a linux server at home
> that will be running gentoo soon, but you dident gain one. hope someone
> works on a project like this soon!

As I replied to another subthread, you indeed will have access unless
you block SSH from localhost, which is what running Webmin on localhost
would do.

With Gentoo, you set up a daily cron script to run emerge sync, then run
emerge -up world and email you the output. If there are packages you
feel like updating, you log in over Webmin, start a screen session
(app-misc/screen), emerge -u world, detach the screen session, and
leave. Then you check back later by re-logging in to Webmin and
reattaching the screen session to make sure everything worked.