On 2003.10.21 07:33, dave willis wrote:
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Patrick Marquetecken wrote:

> it does not do cdripping :-( and its in the portage, but it needs a
lot
> of Gnome
> For ripping i use grip.

it *says* it does ripping.
doesn't seem like itunes, though.  with itunes i could download and
buy
all sorts of mainstream (and not so mainstream) songs.

It does do ripping. emerge sound-juicer. Granted it's not a built-in component, but rhythmbox knows it exists. You could probably change the source to look for grip instead of sound-juicer.

with sound-juicer so far I've noticed really good quality for some songs (i'm encoding to .ogg) such as most of bowie's "the best of bowie" cd and nin's "pretty hate machine", but really, really crappy quality on things like coal chamber's "chamber music".

As for the iTunes store, that is a whole different beast. Only iTunes can use the itunes store, just as only the musicnet client (if they still exist) can use the musicnet store, and only the napster client can use the napster store. I'm still doing the cd thing (only good ones, and only actual cds), at least until I get a portable media device smaller than my laptop :)

--

Chris I

BOFH Excuse #115:

your keyboard's space bar is generating spurious keycodes.