On Oct 22, 2003, at 12:09 pm, Thomas Preissler wrote:

Hello folks,

I want to use a bridge, because I use UML for some tests.

As described [1] I want that the bridge br0 with eth0 is always
startup when the system boots.

How do I modify /etc/conf.d/net to satisfy my needs, that the bridge
br0 for example is configured?

You have to do a little bit of hacking about to get this working.
I've documented it a little in a couple of recent posts, see:
<http://search.gmane.org/search.php? query=stroller+bridge&group=gmane.linux.gentoo.devel>

Basically, you need a new /etc/init.d/net.br0 script which is based on the /etc/init.d/net.eth0 script, but which adds the `brctl`commands.

I found myself moving everything in /etc/conf.d/net to /etc/conf.d/net.eth0 & then starting a new /etc/conf.d/net.br0 for bridging configuration - as I recall, the way that the /etc/init.d/net* scripts work is that they source first from /etc/conf.d/net then from any /etc/conf.d/net.XXX file where XXX matches their own suffix.

I've attached my /etc/ files & hope they are helpful. Please post back if you have any more questions

Stroller.