Matt Garman wrote:
I have the following mplayer merged on my system:

mplayer --version
MPlayer 0.92-3.2.3  (C) 2000-2003 MPlayer Team
CPU: Advanced Micro Devices  (Family: 6, Stepping: 0)
Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 3DNow 3DNowEx SSE

It's got some "issues" doing fullscreen.  If I simply do a
"mplayer somefile.mpg" the video will play fine in a small window.  If I
hit "f" (to switch to fullscreen), the video will completely disappear.
However, other than not being displayed, it seems that mplayer "thinks"
the video is still running (as the status info in the terminal will be
updating).  Plus, I can hit "f" again, and return the video to the
visible windowed state.

On the other hand, if I start mplayer using "mplayer -fs somefile.mpg",
then the video will again start in a small window.  But this window is
actually like a "portal" that only lets me see a smaller part of the
whole video (i.e. it seems to be fullscreened, but I can only see a
small square of that).  If I hit "f", the video will completely
disappear, but mplayer is still running (as described above).  If I
press "f" a third time, the video will now be shown correctly in
fullscreen mode.

I tried recompiling mplayer with more conservative CFLAGS (O2 instead of
O3), but that didn't help.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this?  Any ideas on what might be
wrong?

Which vo option are you using? From my experience, I was never able to get it to do fullscreen, or any scaling for that matter, when using the default 'x11' driver. I always use the 'xv' driver and have no problems.

--
Andrew Gaffney