Foolishly, I emerged the whole world to an updated state that is, well,
lets say less than stable.  It upgraded me to python 2.3, which causes
its own set of problems, but it also broke GCC by upgrading a version or
two past stable.
So, how do I fix GCC?  I'm pretty sure once I get gcc working I can get
the rest of the system back to operational, but not having a working GCC
install is certainly a roadblock to my success.
Thanks all,
Lewis
P.S. I know that emerging the world without carefully reading each
package to be updated is foolish (at least I do now anyway).