Andrew Gaffney wrote:
I just downloaded the SystemRescueCd from www.sysresccd.org. Its very nice. Its just a modified Gentoo LiveCD with QTParted and some other stuff. I was using QTParted to modify some of my partitions, and I ran into some problems.

Does QTParted not support ext3 partitions? I have 2 ext3 partitions that I wanted to resize. It wasn't giving me the option even though I had space for them to expand to. I ran 'tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/hdax' and magically the resize option appeared when I went back into QTParted.

Does QTParted not support moving ext2 partitions? It let me add space onto the end of one of my partitions, but it won't let me move another ext2 partition towards the beginning of the drive and add space on the end of the partition. I do have a solution to this one, though. I will create another partition in the empty space where /dev/hda2 used to be. I will copy all the files from /dev/hda3 (main Gentoo partition) to /dev/hda2. I will then remove /dev/hda3 and use QTParted to resize the newly created /dev/hda2. Will this work the way I want it to? Also, what is the best/recommended/fastest way to mirror the partition? Thanks.

For anyone who is interested, I used parted's cp command to mirror the partition from /dev/hda3 to /dev/hda2. I then deleted /dev/hda3 and resized /dev/hda2 to fill the empty space. I mounted the partition and modified the /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/grub.conf to reflect the changes. Then I ran grub and used the commands 'root (hd0,1)' and 'setup (hd0)' to re-install grub for /dev/hda2. Everything is working well now!

--
Andrew Gaffney