On Sat, 2003-10-25 at 10:51, Brett I. Holcomb wrote:
> I need to set up an Audio mixer type system with three computers and a stereo
> system being the inputs.  I want to take these inputs, mix them and then
> output them.  I also want to be able to record the stereo system input on a
> computer so I can convert my tapes and records to files that can be burned on
> a CD.  I plan to try oog but also need mp3 - or an open source equivalent
> that can play on a DVD player that plays mp3 CDs.  This raises some questions.
>
> 1.  For the mixing part I was looking at a hardware mixer but I'm wondering
> is there a setup for Linux that I can use to bring the inputs in via the line
> in, mix them with software, and then send the mixed result out via line out
> to an amp that will drive speakers?

Brett,
   Hi. It may be overkill for what you want, but the Pro Audio
application for this sort of thing would be Ardour. It can certainly do
everything you are asking for. On the downside it's big and requires
Jack, so you may not want to go there.

   Three other good programs you shoudl look at would be ReZound,
Audacity and Sweep. All three are similar in capabilities (I think!) and
probably can do the job. Of the three I I use Audacity the most, but
actually think all three are quite good. Give ReZound a serious look.

> 2.  What software is good for recording records and tapes and CDs?

Again, all the software above can do this and more.

Good luck,
Mark