On Monday 27 October 2003 9:35 am, Joe Stone wrote:
> On Saturday 25 October 2003 17:06, Tom Hosiawa wrote:
> ..snip...
>
> > Try adding this to your file right after this statement , I have it in
> > mine:
> > [ -f /etc/profile ] && . /etc/profile
>
> I don't know if somebody said this already or if the problem lies somewhere
> else (tooooo many postings in this list :-),
>
> but if you get
>       bash-2.05b$
> in xterm, then xterm did not run the login-stuff.
>
> if you add in
>       /etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm
> the line
>       *VT100*loginShell: true
> then xterm logins with environment.
>
> joe

People following this thread:

I was advised on the Gentoo forum to create an .Xdefaults file in /root, and
add only this line:

XTerm*loginShell: true

Does this accomplish the same thing as joe mentions? It did solve one problem
I had with getting x to open a prog (perl script) window from a terminal.

Robert Crawford