Jerry McBride wrote:

I've just upgraded my first laptop with a newer glibc sporting both the nptl and pic USE switches.

Thought I'd share what I've learned so far...

If you haven't noticed, this is Gentoo and so far things "feel" marginally better as far as performance goes. Everything runs as before, perhaps just a tad bit faster. Mos notably is KDE. Yet again, there's an increment in performance for the old pig.

The only downside I've picked up on is... some apps won't compile with the new thread model. Most notable is mysql. It complains bitterly about not find the linux threads in glibc... Looks as though a patch will be forth comming for it. :')

I'll be putting the new NPTL on a server at work, maybe today, tomorrow for certain and we'll see how it really works.

Cheers, all. Have a great Tuesday.

About mysql, this is because the way the configure script looks for threads, it checks for the word Linuxthreads inside pthread.h (wtf!) so, if you add this to the .h you'll get mysql to compile -and work- fine with NPTL.

Salu2.

Javier Villavicencio.