On Monday 27 October 2003 05:04 am, Frank Schäfer wrote:
> Hi, this howto is veryveryvery short.
>
> 1. don't compile devfs in the kernel
> 2. don't start devfsd
> 3. run /sbin/MAKEDEV, to create all the devices you need
>
> ... but why the hick do you want to do this?

DEVFS is marged as being deprecated. That is to say, dead. The original
author/maintainer has dissappeared and the code is going to waste. As
mentioned in the kernel mail list, UDEV is going to be the supported method
of dynamically creating devices under /dev.

Besides, UDEV is in the portage tree. All I need to know for certain is how to
make it work... the first time.

Cheers.

                     Registered Linux User Number 185956
          http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&safe=off&group=linux
This email account no longers accepts attachments or messages containing html.
     6:48pm  up 27 days, 23:41,  7 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00