On Thursday 30 October 2003 11:48, Selentek 24331-03 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Where is 2 system on my computer: gentoo and redhat-9
>
> gentoo kernel: gentoo-sources without any changes
>
>   gentoo $ mkisofs --version
>   mkisofs 2.01a17 (i686-pc-linux-gnu)
>
>   gentoo $ hdparm -t /dev/hda
>   /dev/hda:
>    Timing buffered disk reads:   52 MB in  3.08 seconds =  16.88 MB/sec
>
>   gentoo $ time mkisofs distfiles > 1.1 2>/dev/null
>   real    1m17.966s
>   user    0m1.390s
>   sys     0m14.745s
>
> I try different versions of cdrtools, but result same
>
> redhat: kernel from gentoo-sources without patches
>
>   redhat $ mkisofs --version
>   mkisofs 2.0 (i686-pc-linux-gnu)
>
>   redhat $ hdparm -t /dev/hda
>   /dev/hda:
>    Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  4.10 seconds = 15.61 MB/sec
>
>   redhat $ time mkisofs distfiles > 1.1 2>/dev/null
>   real    0m41.720s
>   user    0m1.430s
>   sys     0m12.510s
>

> What reason of gentoo small speed?
>
> Thanks.

I guess you had a dual-boot system, gentoo and redhat on the same drive at
the same time in different partitions. Harddisks usually have different
speeds at inner and outer sectors, which can vary upto a factor of two.

Additionally, fragmentation is an issue, especially on very large files like
iso-images (but it is far beyond the bad fragmentation behaviour of a fat
fs, but its noticeable)

Greetings,
        Alex

--