--- Joseph Eaton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I figured out the xdm/gdm problems.  Forgot to un-comment the lines.
>
> Yeah, the old Compaq lappy is my test mule.  I have a new Sony
> ultra-portable that serves as my main travel companion.  WinXP is
> staying on that until the Centrino drivers are more mature.
>
> I will check those other things in regards to my slow build time.  I
> just thought it was a 500MHz proc and 96MB RAM.

Stage 3 is a good place to begin Joseph. If you run into sparodic
issues durning a stage 1 install it can slowly but surely beatdown your
"Gentoo Moral". Having a fast internet connection is a plus of course.
A slow connection only addes to frustration for me. I did a stage 3 via
dial-up and it took me just about 3 days to get everything updated and
tweeked. I've never been happier.

I was used Mandrake as my first dist and just couldn't stand the rpm
madness. Anytime I wanted to upgrade something it was a nightmare
trying to figure out dependency problems.
The nice thing with Gentoo is its compiling everything you download to
your specific spec's. I know you know this but anyways just in case.
Say you want to install "Gaim" for instance. Gentoo tells you
everything you need or whats dependent to get that build and downloads,
installs and compiles everthing in the proper order. Plus your able to
keep up with the software you work with and at the stable pace that
packages are made stable and available. This feature alone rules. I'm
running KDE 3.1.4 while most of my engineering buddies are at something
pre 3. Can't even remeber now.
Ofcourse you can live on the edge and download dev stuff thats unstable
if you half to have the bleeding edge releases. I've chosen to stick
with stable by default. Linux is a never ending learning experience for
me and gobbles up a ton of my time when I have to trouble shoot
something. So stable is good for me. Ofcourse I had to learn that the
hard way. Heh..

I hope that your next install goes smoother. You have this list and the
Gentoo web forum if google ain't helpin.

Oh ya, the email list archvies can be found at:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=gentoo-user&r=1&w=2

HTH's a little,
Joshua Banks