> At 09:49 AM 11/4/2003, you wrote:
> >On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 22:09:56 +0800 William Kenworthy
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >wrote:
> >
> > > I am not sure what it is about gentoo but I have lost
> /boot a couple of
> > > times now when shutdown with it mounted (mounts as ext3,
> runs as ext2 on
> > > boot).  Never happened on Mandrake or redhat.
> > >
> > > After a few painful rescues, I now make /boot is
> unmounted when not
> > > needed.
> > >

> >Security freaks will complain, but I have been with gentoo
> almost since the
> >beginning, and I have never created a /boot partition.  I
> never have to
> >remember
> >to mount /boot when needed.  No problems ever.
>
> Don't worry, many feel that you HAVE to have seperate /boot,
> /home, /usr,
> /var, and so on partitions....

Thats because the theory goes, if something happens to one of your partitions, your
not having to fix the entire drive.. Also, you can then mark usr as read only, and
eliminate many of the root kits.

But then, I hear many times your firewall computer shouldn't run any services.. Yet I
still have not gotten and answer on how forwarding a port to another machine
alleviates getting hacked..