At 02:12 PM 11/4/2003, you wrote:
> I just discovered that I can't mount DVD's with Gentoo.
> I'm on Gentoo 1.4 kernel 2.4.20 (gentoo-sources-r8)
> The drive is an LG IDE and works with the discs I tried under
> Mandrake.
> Both Mandrake and Gentoo use ide-scsi for this device.
>
> I get the message no medium found, no matter what I do (mount
> with filesytem options...)

Funny. I have the same brand DVD and same kernel. I had some problems
mounting as a normal user but not root. I had to find the right /dev and
add it to fstab, problems gone. If you've enabled ide-scsi for it, then
it should be symlinked somewhere under /dev/cdroms.

Actually, I believe /dev/cdroms is a devfs thing and if he's not using devfs, he should look under /dev/scdX instead. Using ide-scsi, the drive will appear as a SCSI device, hence the /dev/scd items.

Hall