Check the archives here.   There have been extensive discussions on the use
of Gentoo for a server.  In short - yes it works.  RH and others distribute
"server" versions but I suspect all they've done is tweaked the desktop
version with some settings and what gets installed by default.  Any Linux
distro should be able to run as a server (well, maybe not Lindows <G>).  The
only thing is the admin has to set up what he wants - but that's good and
what Gentoo is about.