Collins Richey wrote:
I have finally gotten alsa to work for my SoundBlaster PCI 64 (ens1371), but
it's still a bit hokey. I've seen a few reports but no real answers on forum. Maybe someone knows the answer. Bugzilla is down, so I can't search there at
present.

1. You should be able to compile the 2.6 alsa modules as built in, but this does
not work.  The kernel reports that the soundcard is not working.

2. Alsa compiled as modules does work with a little tinkering.

  a.  If I add alsasound to the boot level scripts as recommended, sound does
      not work.  Devfsd does not build the /dev/dsp ... entries.

  b.  If I add alsasound to the default level scripts as recommended, same
      results as for a.  A few extra dependancy complaints, since alsasound
      is design for executing at boot time.

  c.  After either of these approaches, if I issue /etc/init.d/alsasound stop
      and then /etc/init.d/alsasound start, sound works.

So, what I do for now is to add the following to /etc/conf.d/local.start

Do not do this. Only do: $ rc-update add alsasound boot

/etc/init.d/alsasound start /etc/init.d/alsasound stop /etc/init.d/alsasound start

Messy (lots of dependancy errors) , but it works.

Does anyone have a clue how to fix this POS?

Steps to get ALSA to work in 2.6 kernel.

(1) Enable all ALSA related options in kernel.
(2) Boot off newly compiled kernel.
(3) Unmute channels (I use gkrellm-volume plugin to do this)

Look here for screenshot of gkrellm-volume control if you like.
http://dhruba.codewordt.co.uk/images/gkv.png (left-centre)

There is no compelling need to emerge anything alsa-related at all. The only problem is saving your volume levels on shutdown and restoring them on startup and that can be done using:

$ alsactl store (put this in /etc/conf.d/local.stop)
$ alsactl restore (put this in /etc/conf.d/local.start)

Then you are sorted. I myself prefer not to emerge anything alsa related as there is no need and that way your system does not get the dreaded libasound.la library against which many packages begin to compile and depend upon.