> > Does grub's numbering include the CD, so the SATA drive would be (hd1)?
> > Or is it still (hd0)?
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-install.xml
>
> Chapter 23, the section titled "Configuring GRUB".
>
> > I'm remote from the machine right now so I cannot try this until later
> > today.) I couldn't get it to boot last night after I finished the stage
> > 3 install due to this problem. It kept saying 'file not found' and it
> > was late so I figured I'd read more about grub today. It can find
> > bzImage files using some of those commands that show up when I do a
> > tabbed completion, correct?
>
> Yep, as long as you aren't using some weird filesystem on /boot :)
>
> MAL

MAL,
   Hi. Thanks for the help.

   As Jeffery said, this write up on the Gentoo site seems to differ from
what you're saying, unless I'm misunderstanding you. It would seem according
to the Gentoo install doc that the CD is not counted.

   I think my confusion, or possibly worry, right now is that I did 2 hours
of installation, which ends with installing grub but somehow wiping out the
Gentoo installation. Can that happen? I did create the boot floppies, so
maybe they will help me work out what's going on.

   My recollection was that last night, at the grub step where I thought I
should type 'root (hd4,0)', grub complained so I tried 'root (hd0,0)' and it
worked.

   Is there any way that grub could have thought it was installing to my
CDRW drive? I doubt it, but just trying to clarify. There was still the
Gentoo CD in the drive at that point, so grub would see a filesystem I
suppose.

   Anyway, I'm sure I'll get this worked out this evening when I get back to
it.

Thanks,
Mark