On Nov 5, 2003, at 3:48 PM, Jeffrey Smelser wrote:

This depends and correct me if I am wrong, when you use scsi, you can get this benefit of using two different hard drives and getting a performance benefit. The last I remembered, if your using ide, this is not the case unless you have them on two different ide cards.. Even though an ide card can handle two hard drives, it can only read from them one at a time hence the performance wouldn't be there...

I believe that is only true if they are on the same cable. Each interface has its own master/slave pair which I believe are independent. Most systems have at least two IDE buses (connectors) and many now have 4 or more :-)

Chad

just a side note.

I would add to spiders comments that you can create two same size swap
partitions on each disk and have them mount at the same priority in
fstab.  The kernel can then access the swaps in a similar fashion to
raid0.  Also, in this day and age of cheap disk space, go
overboard with
space if you have ever even came close to filling swap up (I
use two 1G
partitions, and dearly wish I had set them to 2 G!).  Too hard to fix
afterwards!