On Thursday 06 November 2003 21:59, Steve wrote:
> I have a PS/2 memorex 5 button mouse.  The two side buttons I am not all
> that concerned about but it has a middle button that also scrolls.  How can
> I get the scroll to work?  The actual button works as I can select text and
> paste by pushing it.
>
> My /etc/X11/XF86Config file's mouse section has
> ZAxisMapping as "5 6"
>
> I have googled and some say that the total number of buttons is actually 2
> higher than a mouse actually has, so my 5 button would be 7.  I have tried
> switching the ZAxisMapping ( I am not sure of the exact spelling I am not
> at the machine at the moment) to 6 7 but still no scroll.  Any ideas?

Try using:

    Option "Buttons" "7"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"

in your xfree config file.

at this point, the two side buttons (mapped to buttons 4 and 5) will act like
the scroll wheel should. To remap buttons 4 and 5 to the scroll wheel, run:

    xmodmap -e "pointer  = 1 2 3 6 7 4 5"

I find it convenient to have the thumb button set to middle click, because it
is much easier to push than the scroll wheel. To do this, try:

    xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 4 3 6 7 2 5"

Hope this helps.
--
Cory