Hi,
   What is it that controls the operation, while in X, of the copy/paste
function with the mouse, or the keyboard's Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V function?

   I have two Gentoo boxes side by side. My machine allows me (for most
applications) to highlight text with the mouse in one window, and then
go to another and paste the data using a single click the middle button
(wheel) of the mouse. It also allows me to use Ctrl-C/V keyboard
shortcuts with some apps.

   On the machine I'm building for my father none of this works. The
middle button isn't working. It does work to press both the left and
right buttons together.

   I'm thinking this is something to do with the 'Emulate 3 button
mouse' question that comes up when building the XF86config file, but I'm
not spotting the difference between the two files. Both seem to be set
up as follows:

# **********************************************************************
# Core Pointer's InputDevice section
# **********************************************************************

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse1"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "PS/2"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/mouse"

# Emulate3Buttons is an option for 2-button Microsoft mice
# Emulate3Timeout is the timeout in milliseconds (default is 50ms)

#    Option "Emulate3Buttons"
#    Option "Emulate3Timeout"    "50"

EndSection

   What else can I look at to fix this?