--- Paulo Jorge de Oliveira Cantante de Matos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> modprobe lp
>
> BUild it as a module... Character Devices -> Parallel Printer Support.
>
> > On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 11:51, Ryan wrote:

> > i built my machine a while ago , and didnt think i needed my paralel ports
> working but now i want to use them .
> >
> > I have lpt support into my kernel
> > but i still dont have a /dev/lp*
> >
> > if i do a dmesg | grep parport
> >
> > i get
> >
> > parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [PCSPP,TRISTATE]
> > parport1: PC-style at 0x378 [PCSPP,TRISTATE]
> >
> > anything i forgot or any ideas

Also check that you included the "Use FIFO/DMA" option in the kernel config.
The "PCSPP, TRISTATE" is the basic operating mode and very slow.  Check your
bios to see if ECP or EPP is turned on (ECP is best for printers, EPP for
parallel port disks, avoid the ECP+EPP unless you have both through one port).

btw, it looks like you have two ports with a single io port.  Shouldn't one of
these be 0x278?

--DB