On Sunday 16 November 2003 16:08, KamaolaKid wrote:
> I'm using grub-static as my boot loader.  My boot partition is /dev/sda1
> and grub is installed to the MBR.  I get to the grub prompt fine, but
> when the kernel starts, the error "kernel panic: could not read device
> /dev/sda1" followed by "please append correct root= option" and then
> "VFS: could not mount root fs".
>
> My grub.conf file does append root=/dev/sda1
> I've tried /dev/hda, /dev/sda, etc. etc.
>
> My root file system is XFS.  I've checked it with xfs_check and it is
> intact.
>
> And yes, XFS is compiled into the kernel.
>
> Any ideas?

Firstly, you should put root=<root device> and not root=<boot device>.
Secondly, it sounds like the kernel cannot find your scsi device (assuming you
do have scsi) so you probably don't have the correct driver compiled into the
kernel.
Thirdly, if XFS was a problem the kernel would tell you that.

Jason