begin  quote
On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 08:33:52 -0500
Heitzso <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Could someone let me know how to get gdm to run?
> I just installed gentoo on a laptop a few days ago and
> gdm fails to start.  It's reporting the error that it cannot
> find liblinc.so.1.
>
> I ran 'emerge sync' followed by 'emerge -u world'
> hoping to straighten it out but that didn't work.
>
> I'm not familiar enough with gentoo and I don't
> know the command to run that will tell me what
> package owns 'liblinc.so.1'.  That would be helpful
> to, then I can emerge the missing package and be
> on my way.

You have done emerge depclean or other such thing.

linc is a deprecated package that has been folded into ORBit2 , but
should have remained on your system in order to prevent breakage like
this (therefore its not conflicted but silently left alone)

Fixing this can either be done by reinstalling "linc" and letting the
problems subside, or running revdep-rebuild (linker checker and
rebuilder)  or by checking what application links to liblinc, and
rebuilding that against current system, then it won't link to linc
anymore.

//Spider

--
begin  .signature
This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!