On Sunday 16 November 2003 12:32, Oliver Lange wrote:
> I'd like to change the /home & /var location
> to newly added harddisk partitions, so i need
> the correct cp command phrase which regards
> all and every link & permission issue, like:
>
> cp -??? /mnt/gentoo/var /mnt/gentoo/newvar

From the cp man page:
       -a, --archive
              Preserve as much as possible of the structure and attributes  of
              the  original  files  in the copy (but do not preserve directory
              structure).  Equivalent to -dpR.

I did a test and it works fine. The command you'll want is:
cp -a /mnt/gentoo/var/* /mnt/gentoo/newvar

Be aware, however, that this will probably not copy .* files in the top-level
directory, in this case /mnt/gentoo/var.

Instead of booting of a CD, you can also pass the "single" option to the
kernel, which will boot up and drop you to a root shell before switching to
the "default" runlevel. That way permissions listed with ls will be the
proper users rather than numbers.

Jason