Mark writes:

>    My ISP keeps moving my DHCP cable modem IP and I cannot keep up with
> it from remote locations, so I'm checking out things like DynDNS.org &
> ods.org. Can anyone recommend a free service, or very low cost service,
> that would just give me a DNS name so that I could ssh into my house
> without having to keep tracking this stuff by hand?

>    Also, DynDNS references 3 Linux clients - ipcheck, ez-ipupdate and
> ddclient. I found two in portage. Any recommendations on what software to
> use to do this? My Gentoo box is on about 18 hours per day, and is behind
> a DLink firewall.

I am using dyndns.org and zoneedit.com. While both are free, zoneedit
allows me to use my own domainname, with dymdns.org I have to choose
from some domains like dyndns.org.

To update the DNS records at zoneedit, I use this line in /etc/ppp/ip-
up:

lynx -source -auth=USER:PASS 'http://dynamic.zoneedit.com/auth/
dynamic.html?host=wonkology.org'

And for dyndns.org, I luse a little script:

#!/bin/sh
addr()
{
        line=`/sbin/ifconfig ${1:-ppp0} | grep addr`
        echo ${line:20:15}
}
ez-ipupdate --config-file /etc/ppp/ez-ipupdate.conf --address=`addr`

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/etc/ppp cat /etc/ppp/ez-ipupdate.conf
#daemon=
#debug=yes
#foreground
host=wonkology.dyndns.org
server=members.dyndns.org
service-type=dyndns
user=USER:PASS
wildcard

        Alex
--
  Alex Schuster     [EMAIL PROTECTED]             PGP Key available
                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]