On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 22:14, Alan wrote:
> > When I ran TOP, I found a root session was running nano - at 50% CPU -
> > continuously. This session would have survived at least 3 reboots.
> >
> > This system is behind my firewall and I have no reason to think it has
> > been hacked.....and why would nano be using 50% of the CPU anyway?
>
> I've seen vim do this as well occassionaly.  Every once and a while an
> app will just start spinning and kill off your CPU with it.  However,
> I highly doubt that it survived 3 reboots without being restarted
> somehow.  After a reboot, running apps die, so if it was running again
> it was started somehow I'd think.

That's what I thought....but when i first noticed Seti effectively
running at 50% of capacity, I thought it might be some sort of racing
kernel issue.....and I re-booted the system for a couple of days to se
if it made any difference. It didn't appear to. I did not run
TOP....probably because it was late. I usually check the "seti farm"
just before going to bed.

I then checked to see if the KDE screen saver was interfering. I usually
have it set to low CPU and a blank screen only. That looked perfectly
normal.

Finally....running TOP occurred to me and when I did, I saw a root
session running nano....and i could not recall having logged in as root
and run nano any time in the past few days. But I can't rule it out as I
almost certainly would have adjusted the host name of the local portage
mirror when the operator changed it.

But when cycled through the various terminals, I was not connected to
any login session.....whatever it was, was running in the background.

> Do I have a clue how?  Nope, not one.  Does it show up in a ps after a
> reboot?  Or if you check periodically?

I will. :-)

--
Steve Withers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>